The CERN Internet Exchange Point (CIXP) is open to all Internet Service Providers (ISP). While natural partners are those ISPs with a Point of Presence in Switzerland or France, CIXP membership is open to all organisations that can benefit from peering their IP traffic.
To become a member of CIXP, you must:
Carry out activities related to the Internet.
Have your own Autonomous System Number (ASN) assigned.
- The ASN number is used in both the exchange of exterior routing information (between neighboring ASes), and as an identifier of the AS itself. AS numbers are assigned by Internet registries such as RIPE.
You will need a recognized AS Number to peer at the CIXP. Private AS numbers are not valid at the CIXP.
- Usage of BGP-4 (Border Gateway Protocol Version 4). Peering between routers of CIXP members across the IXP will be via BGP-4.
You need to know:
The CIXP is a neutral Internet exchange point between Internet operators and is NOT a "service provider" per se.
CERN will charge a standard fee for establishing a new connection and an annual fee for maintaining each connection. This will include a physical connection to the CIXP switch, as well as overheads such as floor space, UPS electricity, air conditioning and administration.
All direct costs such as equipment costs, installation and maintenance, as well as Telecom bills will be paid by the ISP.
Subject to written approval by CERN, ISPs of which CERN is a customer may also establish point-to-point connections at their own expense to a limited number of their own customers, provided that the latter are located in France or Switzerland.
Traffic in transit through the CIXP is not subject to any particular restrictions, but must conform to all applicable laws and guidelines, and to the usage policies of the source and destination ISPs. CERN accepts no liability in any respect for the nature of transit traffic.
CERN accepts no liability in any respect for any inaccuracy and instability of routing announcements or for any loss or unintentional modification of packets in transit.
- CERN will take all reasonable precautions to prevent unauthorized access to the CIXP, but accepts no liability in any respect for the confidentiality or authenticity of traffic.
How to apply
- Fill in the Membership Application and submit it via this website
- After the application is approved by the CIXP team, you will receive information on billing and payment.
- After the payment is credited, the intranet account is established.
- Enter and update the information on the Intranet.
- Port installation.
What is the procedure of physical connection ?
It is necessary to establish the connection of data cables (metallic or fibre) to the CERN CIXP racks. You will receive information about this when you submit your initial application form.
However if you're like information about this before applying, please send an email to email@example.com